Functional nose surgery, known as functional rhinoplasty, has as its main goal the repair or correction of the nasal valves, or internal cartilage. The aim is to restore free breathing. However, a functional rhinoplasty offers the opportunity to improve the aesthetic appearance of the nose in the same surgery.
Functional vs. cosmetic nose surgery
Because Dr. Jacqueline and Dr. Elbert of the Cheng Plastic Surgery are double-board certified in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and Head and Neck surgery, they are experienced in the fine balance between nasal functionality and aesthetic structure.
Your ability to breathe through your nose easily may be limited by one nasal passage being too narrow or collapsed. You may be unhappy with a pinched-looking nasal bridge or tip. Our experienced doctors know how to optimize your functional breathing while also improving or retaining the essential aesthetics of facial balance and harmony.
Balance is everything
Unfortunately, not every doctor understands this in a practical sense. As a result, they may endeavor to create a more aesthetic nose and risk jeopardizing functionality. It is important that your surgery not only addresses breathing issues but increases the balance the symmetry of your face when needed.
What is the procedure for a functional nose surgery?
- First, we will examine your nose and its associated functions. This may involve some advanced imaging so that any obstructions or abnormalities can be clearly pinpointed.
- Your consultation with the doctor will include a discussion about what was discovered and how to best resolve the issues. You may be shown what your new, corrected nose will look like on your face through video imaging. We will suggest several ways to do the procedure for the best cosmetic results.
- You will be fully briefed on how to prepare for the surgery. These preparations are intended to shorten your recovery time and keep you as comfortable as possible during recovery.
- Depending upon the type of surgery you receive, you may be given a local or general anesthesia. Either way, you will be comfortable during the procedure.
- Your surgeon may perform your functional nose surgery through a small cut at the base of the nose or from within the nostrils. With either procedure, the nose can be reshaped to better fit your face.
- You will be able to go home the same day as the surgery, with another person to drive you. Our professional medical team will ensure you are well informed of the simple but necessary steps you need to take for optimum healing. Most people feel far better after only a week even when the swelling is still receding.
Schedule a Consultation
All Rights Reserved. Web Design & Internet Marketing by Studio III
Accessibility: If you are vision-impaired or have some other impairment covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to using this website, please contact our Accessibility Manager at (408) 741-9982.