Symmetry and well-balanced proportions of the face have been known for centuries by master artists and sculptors to be the source of physical beauty. One of the strongest features of the face is the chin. If it is receding, overlarge, or over projecting, the chin can severely detract from your natural beauty. The right shape and size of the chin structure will enhance your other features for a balanced harmony.
Types of chin enhancement
Chin enhancement restores balance to the face in one of two ways. Both are popular surgical procedures for men and women. Chin enhancement is often done in conjunction with a facelift or nose surgery for a more complete makeover.
- If your chin is small, an implant is inserted to achieve more balance between the lower face and mid-face. This is referred to as chin augmentation or sliding genioplasty.
- If your chin is too prominent, a chin reduction, also called chin osteotomy or genioplasty, is performed. Ultimately, chin enhancement procedures create more balance and harmony to the face. Cheng Plastic Surgery was established by a brother-sister team of double board-certified facial plastic surgeons, both of whom have extensive experience with chin enhancement surgeries.
Your chin enhancement procedure
Cheng Plastic Surgery is a state-of-the-art plastic surgery center with two operating rooms and a full staff of certified medical professionals. You can be assured that your chin enhancement is in skilled, experienced hands for the best outcome possible.
- Local anesthesia is the most common method to place a chin implant. When bone repositioning is required, general anesthesia is recommended.
- In the case of a chin implant, the incisions are usually under the chin or inside the lower lip. In both cases, scars are in discrete locations. The surgery takes less than a half hour after the anesthesia has taken effect.
- A pocket is created in the chin, and the implant is placed over the jawbone. The incisions are then sutured closed.
- The chin implant is customized to your facial shape and proportions. This handcrafting of the implant is done by Dr. Cheng in the operating room. Most implants are made of silicone, which has an excellent safety record.
- In the case of chin reduction, our doctors reshape the chin so that its projection is decreased. The bone must be cut or shaved to reduce chin prominence. Occasionally, chin abnormalities or injuries can also be corrected. When the bone is cut, alignment techniques are used to secure the bone.