Our San Jose chemical peel treatment is a non-surgical procedure to resurface the skin. A peel can make the skin smoother and improve fine lines and wrinkles, blemishes, acne, acne scars, uneven skin tone, rosacea and sun damage. There are a variety of peels of different depths.
The deeper the peel, the greater the results but the longer the recovery time. Mild or superficial peels are usually made of alphahydroxy acids (AHAs); moderate peels are usually made of glycolic acid; deep or aggressive peels are usually made of trichloroacetic acid (TCA) or a mixture of different acids. You might need more than one peel to achieve the results you want.
At Cheng Plastic Surgery, our board-certified facial plastic surgeons approach every procedure individually. We spend time with you to understand what you wish to correct, and we examine you carefully to determine the best plan to achieve your goals. We have extensive experience with chemical peels and can help you determine the best peel for your skin.
What are Chemical Peels?
Chemical peels are non-surgical treatments that use specially formulated chemicals to exfoliate your skin, removing the damaged outer layers of your skin, and stimulating the regeneration of fresh, youthful skin cells. Chemical peels can be performed on your face, neck, and hands, and are effective at treating:
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Sun damage
- Sun spots
- Age spots
- Freckles and other hyperpigmented skin cells
- Melasma (a condition where brown patches appear on your skin)
- Uneven skin tone
How much do chemical peels generally cost?
The cost of a chemical peel varies based on the depth of peel you choose, and the formula needed to achieve the improvements you envision. Chemical peels cost an average of $400 but could be less or more, based on the type of peel formula.
Your Chemical Peel Procedure
Two to four weeks prior to your peel, you may begin treating your skin with certain prescription strength products available through our office.
On the day of your peel, we will start by cleansing your skin. You may receive local anesthesia, and a topical anesthetic may then be applied. The chemical formula is applied to the skin and remains for a short time before it is removed. Most of our Palo Alto chemical peels take about a half hour to complete. You can also take pain relievers prior to your peel to minimize discomfort. For moderate and aggressive peels, you will receive oral sedation and local anesthesia.
How Do Chemical Peels Work?
Chemicals peels are outpatient procedures performed in our clinic. The treatment varies, depending on the depth of the peel administered.
- Superficial peel: Superficial peels are rapid treatments that only remove the uppermost layers of skin, and we may or may not apply a topical anesthetic depending on your skin’s sensitivity. The procedure begins with a deep cleaning of your skin, followed by the application of the peel solution. Your skin may tingle and will start to whiten over time. Once the peel is complete, the peel solution is removed, and the peel solution neutralized. The outer layers of skin will then shed over the following days, giving way for new, healthy skin cells. Superficial peels can be performed more frequently.
- Moderate peel: A moderate peel will begin with an application of a local anesthetic for your skin, followed by deep cleansing. Once your skin is ready, we apply the peel solution. Your skin will begin to whiten, and you will likely feel a stinging or burning sensation. Once complete, a moderate peel will have exfoliated several of the upper layers of your skin, with more elastic, smooth, and beautiful skin cells underneath emerging over the following days.
- Deep peel: Deep peels are the most effective form of chemical peel and performed under general anesthetic. A powerful chemical peel solution will be applied to your skin, exfoliating through to the deeper layers of your skin and causing a significant level of skin regeneration. s. Your skin will turn white or gray, and you can expect swelling, redness, burning, and throbbing sensations. Most patients see new, smooth, fresh skin revealed within two weeks of treatment. For many, the results of a deep chemical peel greatly outweigh the challenge of recovery.
Who is a Candidate?
Anyone who is dissatisfied with the condition of their skin and wants comprehensive exfoliation that will reduce the visible signs of aging is a likely candidate for our Palo Alto chemical peels. Chemical peels are very effective treatments that are safe for almost any skin type or condition.
Why choose Cheng Plastic Surgery for chemical peels?
At Cheng Plastic Surgery, all treatments are performed under the supervision of our brother-sister team of double-board certified plastic surgeons, offering top-level professionalism, comfort, and care for our patients. As a team, we are dedicated to helping our patients look and feel their best.
If you wish to learn more, don't hesitate to contact us today and schedule a consultation for arguably the best treatment of chemical peels San Jose has to offer.
Schedule a Consultation
Accessibility: If you are vision-impaired or have some other impairment covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to using this website, please contact our Accessibility Manager at (408) 741-9982.