Our San Jose eyelid surgery, or blepharoplasty, is a surgical procedure to remove excess skin and tissue to restore a refreshed, youthful look to the upper face. For superior results, ensure your surgery is performed by a top-rated, board-certified plastic surgeon who is recognized for both surgical skill and artistry. Dr. Elbert and Dr. Jacqueline Cheng are double board certified facial plastic and reconstructive surgeons with extensive training and certification in head and neck surgery. This means you are getting the delicate mixture of a refined, experienced technical surgeon with an artistic eye for cosmetic surgery.
Should I Get Eyelid Surgery?
Do you feel you look tired or older? Are you noticing drooping upper eyelids or bags under your eyes?
Often, these gradual changes around the eyes play a big role in your appearance. Eyelid surgery (also called eyelid lift or blepharoplasty) removes excess skin and fat on the upper and/or lower eyelids. The result is less heaviness and sagging of the upper lids and reduced lower eye bags. Blepharoplasty can wash away years of aging, giving your face a refreshed, rested appearance.
Am I a Candidate For Eyelid Surgery in San Jose?
Most people can undergo this surgery safely, but we ensure you do not have any conditions that could endanger your health. If you suffer from any of these conditions, you are likely a good prospect for the surgery:
- You see excess skin on your upper lid
- Makeup is more difficult to apply due to excess skin
- You have inherited puffy or baggy eyelids
- You want to create a crease in your eyelid
- Your lower lids appear puffy and tired, even when you are well rested
Before & AftersView All
Upper and Lower Eyelid Surgery
Upper blepharoplasty corrects signs of aging of the upper eyelids, while lower blepharoplasty corrects bags under the eyes. If you have both conditions, upper and lower blepharoplasty can sometimes be performed in the same surgery.
Is Eyelid Surgery Safe?
While the majority of people who have blepharoplasty in Palo Alto are over the age of 35, you may have inherited the tendency toward overhanging upper lids or eye bags. The surgery is safe for most adults of any age.
Will Insurance Pay For My Eyelid Surgery?
While our San Jose blepharoplasty is a cosmetic procedure for the majority of patients, if drooping upper eyelids impair your ability to see properly, the surgery might be considered medically necessary. In that case, some insurance carriers may cover the procedure.
Combination Procedures: Non-Surgical
Note that fine surface lines, forehead creases, or drooping eyebrows will not be corrected by eyelid surgery. For these conditions, you may need a brow lift (forehead lift), BOTOX® injections, or a skin resurfacing procedure to smooth away the very fine lines. Some patients decide to have a facelift at the same time as their eyelid lift so that the entire face looks younger and more refreshed.
What to Expect During Eyelid Surgery in Palo Alto
In most cases, eyelid surgery can be done with local anesthesia. This allows you to stay awake, but you will not feel pain. Most people have little recollection of their surgery after the anesthesia and sedation wear off.
Recovery from Eyelid Surgery
- A few hours after your surgery, you can go home with someone’s help. You will not be able to drive right away.
- It is normal for the eyes to tear and feel irritated for a few days. Your vision might be blurry at first, and there will be swelling, bruising, and mild pain for up to two weeks. You can take pain medication, and we recommend sleeping upright for a few nights to keep swelling to a minimum. You will be given eye drops to use for several days.
- You should be able to go back to work after one week and resume exercise/sports in two weeks. Please avoid wearing eye makeup and contact lenses for about two weeks.
- We will remove your sutures one week after your procedure. We will also see you for post-operative examinations to make sure that you are healing well.
Why Choose Us?
Our double board-certified facial plastic surgeons have performed thousands of successful eyelid surgeries for patients in the greater San Francisco Bay area, including Palo Alto and San Jose.
With two double board-certified facial plastic and reconstructive surgeons in our office, you have the option of receiving a second opinion, with regard to your surgery, right in the same office.
If you wish to learn more, don't hesitate to contact us at Cheng Plastic Surgery and schedule a consultation for arguably the best eyelid surgery San Jose has to offer.